Saturday, December 7, 2013

Halloween and Giving Back

Hey there to all- this is Julianne LeGierse, C'11 Nu'11, updating the blog. To introduce myself, I am a Penn grad, Air Force Second Lieutenant, and Registered Nurse. I am also the Young Alumni board member of the Penn Alumni Club of SA.

Penn is a wonderful school known for giving back to the Philadelphia community. One of the best things about being a member of a local alumni organization, is the opportunity to do the same in a new place. Many of us are transplants to San Antonio and volunteerism is a wonderful way to make it feel more like home. One of our members, Sheila Mayfield, made it a family affair. After Halloween, her children had a ton of excess candy and they donated it to the Pediatric floor of San Antonio Military Medical Center.

I met Sheila and her family before night shift. The Mayfields were outside and waiting for me with everything ready to go. I have never met two children so generous! Candy is delicious and hard to part with as it is. For being so young they were extremely mature. We loaded it in my trunk and had a quick photo with two future Penn students:

The treats were very much enjoyed by the patients. For sure everyone I worked with was impressed by how much was donated. A BIG thank you to the Mayfield family for their generosity!

If you are a Young Penn alum in the SA area, please feel free to email me. If you are in the process of moving to San Antonio, I can also help steer you in the right directions for places to live and check out. My email is julianne.legierse@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment