Friday, March 29, 2013

Penn Architect Louis Kahn

Gazette Article, Excellent DVD Focus on Noted Penn Architect Louis Kahn

I want to share with you all my enthusiasm for an interesting article in the March-April Gazette, which in turn led me to an excellent documentary.  The subject of both is our late famous architect and professor, Louis Kahn.  The Gazette feature describes the revival and completion of a memorial to FDR on New York City's Roosevelt Island.  The documentary,"My Architect," is an Oscar-nominated film produced by Kahn's illegitimate son, Nathaniel. It describes the son's journey through his father's past and his architecture to discover the father, and also himself.  Lots of scenes from the Penn campus and Fine Arts classes in the 60's and 70's (Rick Parkhurst, are you in any of them?). The film itself dates from 2007, and the current-day camera work is vivid.  The Medical Arts Building is there, and so is the Kimball Museum in Ft Worth.  Soundtrack includes Beethoven, Neil Young and Jorma Kaukonen.

Best of all, you can check it out from the SA Public Library.  I returned my copy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment